List:       openembedded-core
Subject:    [OE-core] [RFC] Escape unprintable characters
From:       Bernhard.Guillon () begu ! org
Date:       2023-09-30 12:54:32

Hi all,

after watching "DEF CON 31 - Terminally Owned - 60 Years of Escaping - David \
Leadbeater" [1] I wrote this recipe to test our message behavior.

SUMMARY = "Test escape sequences"
DESCRIPTION = "Test escape sequences"
LICENSE = "MIT"

python do_compile() {
    bb.plain("\033[31;1;4mHello\033[0m\n");
}

do_install() {
    bbwarn "\033[31;1;4mHello\033[0m\n"
}

At least on my terminal it will print a red Hello with a newline.

Dmesg and sytemd both escape unprintable characters by default.
I propose that we should do the same.
We could still offer an option to just print those, for all people who want to have \
shiny color outputs.

As a second step we could even try to escape them before writing them to the logfile? \
This would help people who don't know about cat -v and so on?

What is your opinion about that?

Greets,
Bernhard