List:       openembedded-core
Subject:    Re: [OE-core] [DISTRO|MACHINE]_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED: confusing variable names?
From:       "Tom Hochstein" <tom.hochstein () nxp ! com>
Date:       2023-02-28 18:49:33

[Attachment #2 (unknown)]

Not sure I understand. When you say 'idea of the variable', are you referring to the \
BACKFILL variable? I assume so since that seems to be the one that the distro \
maintainers will 'consider', right? After they've 'considered' the BACKFILL, then \
they will add the ones they _don't want_ to BACKFILL_CONSIDERED(_AND_NOT_WANTED). The \
ones they _do want_ are not marked.

> I'm nervous about renaming variables in general as it does create pain
> for users upgrading and some community feedback has been that we're
> bordering on frustrating users. I know we have mechanisms now to help
> but it isn't pain free.

This I totally understand 😊

> > > Is there a good reason why we have this separate variable and can't just do
> this?
> > >
> > > 	DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL:remove = "some-feature"
> >

> > Good question. Maybe because ":remove" is final, and cannot be
> > overridden, if I understood correctly?
>
> Right, the concern would have been it couldn't be undone and the distro
> setups from when this dates from were more complex.

Since every variable is so afflicted by :remove, perhaps this isn't a good argument, \
particularly when there is a more general pattern for this: to add an extra variable \
at the point of the removal:

MY_DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_REMOVALS ??= "some-feature"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL:remove = "${ MY_DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_REMOVALS}"