List:       openembedded-core
Subject:    Re: [OE-core] Yocto Project Status 31 January 2023 (WW05)
From:       "Alexander Kanavin" <alex.kanavin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-01-31 15:19:05

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 15:14, Stephen Jolley <sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Key Status/Updates:
>
> YP 4.0.7 and YP 4.2 M2 are in QA
> We switched to the 6.1 kernel by default for M2. Unfortunately there are a couple \
> of intermittent issues that seem to have crept in. One is a reproducibility issue \
> in perf, likely with some host component causing it as it only occurs on second \
> builds. The second appears to be an intermittent networking issue accessing a \
> python http-server for testing dnf which appeared after the kernel version change. \
> We are continuing to see other intermittent failures which are limiting how quickly \
> we can merge changes. A summary of some of the key issues was sent to the mailing \
> list: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/176476 There have \
> been changes to the way the codeparser cache in bitbake stores data which should \
> reduce cache size, reduce the times data needs to be written out and generally help \
> performance. CVE levels in master are still high but there are patches in progress \
> for most issues as I understand it. We have a growing number of bugs in bugzilla, \
> any help with them is appreciated.

Please do notice there's a new public article by RP:
https://www.linux.com/audience/maintainer-confidential-opportunities-and-challenges-of-the-ubiquitous-but-under-resourced-yocto-project/

"Maintainer confidential: Opportunities and challenges of the
ubiquitous but under-resourced Yocto Project.
Maintainers are an important topic of discussion. I've read a few
perspectives, but I'd like to share mine as one of the lesser-known
maintainers in the open source world."

LWN has picked it up as well:
https://lwn.net/Articles/921646
(many of the comments are the usual 'yocto is hard' fare, which should
be treated like the weather - inevitable)

Alex

Alex