List:       openembedded-core
Subject:    Re: [OE-core] Add package managers as a plugin
From:       "Andre McCurdy" <armccurdy () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-30 23:15:30

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:54 PM Martin Jansa <Martin.Jansa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 07:01:23PM +0000, Fredrik Gustafsson wrote:
> > Hi Ross,
> > those 5 seconds will increase to minutes for my use case and we build a lot
> > hence I hope this will save us a lot of computer power and engineering time.
> > For example I've sent numbers on building a bigger image (core-image-sato-sdk-ptest)
> > to Alex and Alex:
> > out.apk.1: 1:13.35
> > out.apk.2: 1:13.51
> > out.apk.3: 1:13.23
> > out.apk.4: 1:14.07
> > out.apk.5: 1:13.00
> > out.deb.1: 3:49.37
> > out.deb.2: 3:50.77
> > out.deb.3: 3:51.39
> > out.deb.4: 3:53.40
> > out.deb.5: 3:53.99
> > out.ipk.1: 2:38.99
> > out.ipk.2: 2:39.07
> > out.ipk.3: 2:35.34
> > out.ipk.4: 2:36.15
> > out.ipk.5: 2:34.55
> > out.rpm.1: 1:58.61
> > out.rpm.2: 1:59.42
> > out.rpm.3: 1:59.70
> > out.rpm.4: 1:58.96
> > out.rpm.5: 1:58.11
> >
> > Also consider that if we've a target without python with limited space, rpm is out
> > of the question. So the real comparison would be between ipk and apk. Let's
> > say we can save 80 seconds in each build. Now multiply that with the number of
> > builds, and we do a lot (I guess we might approach 100 000 builds/week in the
> > next year). Then this will save 92.5 days build time each week.
>
> This is impressive.

Indeed. 10 builds per minute, 24hrs a day. But not as impressive as
the scale of the development team able to create enough changes to
trigger so many builds and the scale of the test infrastructure able
to consume them!

Assume one developer makes 10 changes a day and each change gets built
for 10 different targets... 100,000 builds per week implies a team of
over 140 developers.