List:       openembedded-architecture
Subject:    Re: [Openembedded-architecture] who should set default tunes?
From:       Mark Hatle <mark.hatle () windriver ! com>
Date:       2017-04-29 15:32:07

On 4/28/17 11:47 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2017-March/133719.html
>
> Specifying which CPU a board uses (i.e. in BSP layer) now
> automatically chooses hardfp? It's always defaulted to softfp. Was
> there a reason softfp was the default? I was under the impression CPU
> tuning is a DISTRO decision, not a BSP one?

Ultimately it is the BSP that is responsible for setting the proper default tune.

As noted in this change though, often a BSP will pick up the default from the
tune file that it loads.  This is (hopefully) the BSP author intentionally
allowing the tune file to set the 'best default', which of course can change
over time.

What I always tell people is:

- If you don't know what you are doing (userspace wise) or don't care -- use the
default from the tune file.

- If your MACHINE has specific requirements you need to default the default tune
(before loading the tune file)

- If the project knows better then the MACHINE, you can always switch a default
there -- but then you have to remember the default is project specific.

--Mark