List:       openembedded-architecture
Subject:    Re: [Openembedded-architecture] OEDEM - Setup program
From:       Mark Hatle <mark.hatle () windriver ! com>
Date:       2016-10-18 18:12:53

On 10/18/16 12:54 PM, Christopher Larson wrote:

> [...]
>     <mailto:mark.hatle@windriver.com>> wrote:
>     > On 10/18/16 1:42 AM, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>     >> 2016-10-18 4:22 GMT+02:00 Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@windriver.com
>     <mailto:mark.hatle@windriver.com>>:
>     >>> On 10/17/16 7:06 PM, akuster808 wrote:
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>> On 10/17/2016 04:22 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
>     >>>>> At OEDEM I presented the setup program I've been working on at Wind
>     River.  It
>     >>>>> was generally accepted that OpenEmbedded would like to accept and own the
>     >>>>> contribution of this component.
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> The one remaining question was what to call the program.  I had
>     temporarily
>     >>>>> called it 'oe-setup'.  However, we need a real name for this repository.
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> The purpose of the repository is to 'setup' a new project using the
>     Layer Index.
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> So for lacking a better name, I'd say:
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> * openembedded-setup
>     >>>>> * oesetup
>     >>>>> * oe-setup
>     >>>>
>     >>>> oe-project-creator
>     >>>>
>     >>>> project-creator
>     >>>>
>     >>>> project-baker
>     >>>>
>     >>>> chief
>     >>>
>     >>> Ohh this makes me think of 'chef' -- it goes with the bitbake, cooker,
>     toaster,
>     >>> etc names.
>     >>>
>     >>> openembedded-chef
>     >>>
>     >>> Hows that sound?
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >> The name could be confused with the Chef infrastructure automation
>     software [1]
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [1] https://www.chef.io/chef/
>     >
>     > Ya, I've heard the same from a few people offline.  They suggested we refer to
>     > this as "Sous Chef" (documentation, wiki pages, READMEs...), but keep the idea
>     > of the repo name being openembedded-chef or oe-chef.
>     >
>     > Anyone have any opinion on that?
>     >
>     > (Explanation, the Sous Chef is the one that prepares everything, but the
>     Chef is
>     > the one that actually does the cooking, etc.. (i.e. the developer in charge.))
>
>     Before accepting it, it would be good if there is an email discussing
>     it on oe-core mailing list so more people can review the tool.
>
>     I were not at the meeting so I am still waiting to review it.

The purpose of this thread is to come up with a name for a project.

Once the project is prepared it will be published in a location people can
comment on.

From the meeting the people in the room generally agreed that the OpenEmbedded
Project wanted this code on the git.openembedded.org repository server.  Once
that is there, then it's like any other project subject to review, patches, etc.

This is on the architecture list simply because I want a name for the repository
before we setup something so we're not fighting over a name for the next 6 months.

As I said in another part of the thread, I'm happy to give a demo to anyone on
the code.  It's not yet available as sources yet -- it's in review here, I have
to follow the process before I can share the code.  Once it's published then it
will be the OpenEmbedded Communities code to work on.

--Mark