List:       openejb-user
Subject:    Re: [ANN] Welcome new Apache TomEE Committer Richard Zowalla
From:       "Zowalla, Richard" <richard.zowalla () hs-heilbronn ! de>
Date:       2021-01-13 15:02:55

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and for this opportunity!

TomEE has a very welcoming community.

My journey started in 2015 (with TomEE 1.7.x), when my colleague,
Martin W., urged me (hehe, sorry for the wording :-P) to join the
dev@tomee.apache.org list to monitor potential discussions, which would
influence our (research) software. So, there I was - a silent listener
reading the various discussions going on at this time.

Then, in December 2018, there was "TomEE for the Holidays" (with this
cool images on Twitter [1]) and we had an issue (related to German
locales / date formatting) influencing our software: after some
debugging and feedback by Romain via Jira, my first commit to TomEE was
born. Time passed again and in 2019, the next image appeared on Twitter
[2]. In 2020, I was experimenting with JCA connectors to build some
sort of pseudo transactional file io (digged through the mailing lists
to find some information about it - might be worth to write it down in
the future :-) ) and also learned a lot related to CORBA, Byte-Code
generation at build time and SPI (and also some sort of history about
it).

Through all this years: Whenever I had a question or some thoughts, I
received an answer or a piece of information to start digging enabling
me to ask a follow up question and so on ...

tl;dr: I experienced a lot of fun & learned a lot about TomEE internals
and I am still learning a lot each day. Thus, I feel honored to be part
of such a supportive community (even before becomming a committer) :-)

I hope, that I can continue this journey with all of you in the next
years!

Gruss
Richard

[1] https://twitter.com/tomitribe/status/1073645255407345666
[2] https://twitter.com/tomitribe/status/1207322298870632449

Am Dienstag, den 12.01.2021, 22:34 +0100 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro:
> The Project Management Committee (PMC) for Apache TomEE has
> invited Richard to become a committer and we are pleased to announce
> that
> he has accepted.
>
> Richard, a while back (yes I know) when I started contributing and I
> eventually got invited to become a committer, David sent a wonderful
> message[1] based on the well known proverb "It takes a village ...
> raise a child)". I can't unfortunately compete with David's phrasing
> and
> wonderful words, but believe me, I wish I could for you. But I'll try
> say it with my simple but honest frenchglish words.
>
> I'm very proud to be writing this announcement on behalf of the
> Apache
> TomEE PMC. You have been continuously contributing to the project,
> with
> code, documentation, examples and most important, helping out users
> and
> other potential committers.
>
> You have the Apache way and I'm glad you accepted the invite.
> It's our committer responsibility to enable others to contribute and
> again
> I think you have been doing great.
>
> Being a committer enables easier contribution to the project since
> there is
> no need to go via the patch submission process. This should enable
> better
> productivity. Being a PMC member enables assistance with the
> management and
> to guide the direction of the project.
>

> Please join me and send him a warm welcome and thank you.
>

> [1]
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/It-takes-a-village-Jean-Louis-td988516.html#a988522
>
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]