List:       openejb-user
Subject:    Re: Web services deployment example?
From:       David Blevins <david.blevins () visi ! com>
Date:       2009-04-16 2:37:40

On Apr 15, 2009, at 9:09 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:
>
>> I had hoped it might work, but I'm not surprised it didn't. I've
>> always
>> found I need to create both interfaces and have the same methods in
>> both.
>>
>> I did try and setting the WS interface to extend the local one, and
>> had the
>> same error as you. The other way round seemed to work, though.
>
> This seems to be a CXF issue.  When the WS interface extends
> anything, it seems the methods of the extended interfaces are not
> seen by CXF and just result in:
>
> javax.xml.ws.WebServiceException: Could not find operation info for
> web method sum.
> 	at
> org.apache.cxf.jaxws.JaxWsClientProxy.invoke(JaxWsClientProxy.java:
> 102)
> 	at $Proxy18.sum(Unknown Source)
> 	at
> org
> .superbiz
> .calculator
> .CalculatorTest.testCalculatorViaWsInterface(CalculatorTest.java:52)
>
> Seems CXF might be calling 'getDeclaredMethods()' on the service
> endpoint interface and only preparing "operation info" for those
> methods.  Would be nice to get this to work, but will likely require
> someone to dig into the CXF side of things.
>
>> As David says, we could probably make this work, but its against
>> the current
>> spec, so the code might not work with other containers. I'm happy
>> to have a
>> go at this when I have some free time (unless someone else beats me
>> to it)
>> ;-)
>
> Most the way through the "universal interface" sort of support, but
> this won't fix the CXF issue of not supporting one interface
> extending another.  I'm not sure if the JAX-WS spec says anything
> about that, but it seems like a bug to me.  Feel free to grab that
> ball and run with it :)

Filed a JIRA for the CXF/inheritance issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-1020 : "Inheritance not
supported in JAX-WS endpoint interfaces exposed via CXF"

Jon, feel free to grab that one if you want to look into it.

Also filed a jira for interfaces supporting multiple views:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-1018 : "Support for
exposing a single interface as @WebService, @Remote, and @Local"

-David