List:       openejb-user
Subject:    Re: ServiceProvider Id in openejb.xml
From:       David Blevins <david.blevins () visi ! com>
Date:       2008-11-12 1:11:19

On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:02 PM, ebmm_axis wrote:

> So,I've been playing around witht his a little bit more, but I still
> can't
> get it to work...
>

> On the OpenEJB site it states the following:
>

> The service-jar.xml should be placed not in the META-INF but
> somewhere in
> your package hierarchy (ours is in /org/apache/openejb/service-
> jar.xml)
> which allows the services in your service-jar.xml to be referenced
> by name
> (such as DefaultStatefulContainer) or more specifically by package
> and id
> (such as org.apache.openejb#DefaultStatefulContainer).
>
> I have a jar that I have copied to the lib subdirectory with a file
> called
> service-jar.xml.
>
> I don'tknow if the syntax of the service-jar.xml is right or not,
> but this
> is what I've found around the net...
>
> <ServiceProvider
>    id="myId"
>    provider-type="Resource"
>    class-name="org.myclass.myclass.TheClassIWantToUse">
> </ServiceProvider>
>
> In my openejb-jar.xml config file I have the following:
>
> <Resource id="defaultResource" type="TheClassIWantToUse"
> provider="myId">
> </Resource>

This is really close, you just need to add the package part to the
'provider' attribute.  So if you put it at META-INF/com.foo/service-
jar.xml, the provider id would be "com.foo#myId".

That said, there might be a simpler way to do what you want overall.
The service-jar.xml stuff is really geared towards plugging in
something that needs to be configurable.  If you simply want an
instance of a specific class injected you can create a property editor
for it as described here:  http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/custom-injection.html
.

Let us know if that helps.  Also, feel free to go into detail on the
kind of thing you're looking to add to the system as we definitely use
that feedback to drive features.  We've talked about enhancements to
the service-jar.xml/openejb.xml functionality as well as specific
enhancements for j2ee connector configuration and more.

-David