List:       openejb-user
Subject:    Re: How to remove stateful sessions programmatically ?
From:       Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <jean-louis.monteiro () atosorigin ! com>
Date:       2008-10-29 7:48:18

Hi David,

I'm working with Jean-Sebastien on that topic.
Very interesting to share with you.

David Blevins wrote:

> > Ok thanks for the tip David.
> >
> > What I try to implement is "conversation" between Tapestry and
> > OpenEJB. This
> > "conversation" concept is already implemented into Seam.
>
> Very interesting.

yep, Jean-Sebastien made a workable prototype. Works fine.

David Blevins wrote:

> > I store the stateful instance into a web session and I'd like to
> > remove the
> > instance as soon as the session expires.
> >
> > That's why I thought that an API that would allow us to remove
> > stateful
> > could be helpful.
>
> Another trick is to have an interceptor associated with the stateful
> bean that throws a runtime exception when you want to remove the
> stateful bean.  Any unchecked exception not marked as an
> @ApplicationException will cause the stateful bean (and the
> interceptors instances associated with it) to be discarded.  Not quite
> the same as @Remove as the @PreDestroy method of the stateful bean
> won't be called.  But is something you could use as a last resort.

Hum, not fully satisfied.

David Blevins wrote:

> > I know it already exists in OpenEJB but a standard API to parse
> > deployment
> > information outside sessions beans could also be a nice thing.
> >
> > What do you think ?
>
> I've actually been wanting to implement something similar, basically
> Stateful Session beans where the instance itself is tracked within the
> scope of the http session under the covers.  A Stateful Bean whose
> state is tied to the HTTP Session.  A Stateful HTTP Session Bean.  A
> Servlet could have a reference to one injected, not have to store it
> in it's HttpSession, and when it uses the reference we would under the
> covers delegate the call to an instance stored in the http session or
> create one if one didn't exist.  It would also make it so that several
> references to the same stateful bean in a webapp would all point to
> the same instance, rather than each getting it's own individual
> instance as they do now.
>
> -David

We did such kind of extension to use OpenEJB with Tapestry.
Today, we can inject Stateless instances, and of course Stateful instances
(HttpSession scope and conversation scope).

JLouis