List:       openejb-development
Subject:    Re: Base JDK for TomEE 9 in Docker (was Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache TomEE 9.0.0-M1 and Apache
From:       "Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod)" <JENKIR14 () nationwide ! com>
Date:       2020-06-26 16:37:31

Hello David,

I think we have two options.....

1) Change the Docker images to use the zip files

2) Create the tar.gz files

I think sort term we can do the zip files.  I think from there it becomes a question \
of what is best for the long run.  We may not need to provide tar.gz files at all.  I \
think most people are capable of using zip, but it may require some changes.

Forgive my ignorance, but "Do you want the honors of filing the ticket," does that \
mean a Jira card for the project?

Thanks,
Rod.

On 6/25/20, 5:56 PM, "David Blevins" <dblevins@tomitribe.com> wrote:

    Nationwide Information Security Warning: This is an external email. Do not click \
                on links or open attachments unless you trust the sender.

    > On Jun 25, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod) <JENKIR14@nationwide.com> \
wrote:  >
    > Is there any reason that we did not provide TAR.GZ files for TomEE 9.0?

    You're reminding me of a thought where I said to myself, "oh gee, we need to not \
forget to ...." :)
    I had that thought as well and it escaped me.  Do you want the honors of filing \
the ticket so we don't forget to create TAR.GZ files for TomEE 9.0?
    I think the answer here is simply that the Eclipse Transformer might not support \
that format.  If we added that capability we might still not want to use it because \
that would double the time it takes to do the bytecode processing.  The right answer \
here might be to add that capability to the TomEE Patch Plugin and have it output a \
ZIP and TAR.GZ in parallel.  If we made it smart enough to set the right execution \
bits on the *.sh files, it could work fine.
    Thinking out loud.

    -David