List:       openejb-development
Subject:    Re: JUnit Runner
From:       David Blevins <david.blevins () visi ! com>
Date:       2010-02-23 8:14:09

Hey Quintin!

Checked this little gem in -- sorry it's taken so long to get it
reviewed.  There's some good stuff in here.  I was going to check it
into a branch, but it's in pretty awesome shape.  Really gets the
creative juices flowing.

We can support @RunTestAs using the same code the container uses to
support @RunAs -- we could even use the same annotation.  No need for
a special LoginModule  We could also add in support for
@TransactionAttribute and even @Interceptors.  All of the above will
be a little sneaky and take a bit of dancing, but totally doable.

First thing though is I think we should flatten out all the
abstractions that aren't critical.  The security stuff for example
strings from OpenEjbRunner to JUnit4Runner and through
OpenEjbTestContext.  With this approach it's going to be real
difficult to add more test method annotations.  Most this comes from
trying to get away from direct JUnit 4 usage.  I think for this first
iteration we can just make our lives simple, yank those abstractions
and just code straight against JUnit4.  We'll probably end up with a
third of the code.  So OpenEjbRunner and JUnit4Runner can get merged,
TestContext can get yanked and everything can become a Statement.

What do you think?

-David