List:       openejb-development
Subject:    Re: Client/Server Multicast Discovery
From:       "Daniel S. Haischt" <daniel.haischt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-10 8:09:13

regarding SLP I would suggest to look at Zeroconf as well.  Goals of
SLP and Zeroconf
aka multicast DNS are quiet similar except the fact that (knowing you
are on a Mac)
Zeroconf is more common on Macs and Windoze  machines.

Another way to advertise a service is a standard mostly driven by M$
which is named
UPnP.

I did quiet a bunch of stuff  regarding Zeroconf but in C/C++ and
Python. Simply let me
know if this sounds like something that could be of use for the
client/server multicast
discovery.

Open Source SLP impl:

* OpenSLP

Open Source Zeroconf (Multicast DNS) impl:

* Avahi
* FreeBSD/NetBSD Zeroconf stack
* Apple's Bonjour
* there was a Java impl but I don't remember the name at the moment

Open Source UPnP impl:

* UPnP Port Works
* GUPnP
* Barracuda UPnP