List:       openbsd-x11
Subject:    Re: nvidia 9600M GT kind of recognized
From:       frantisek holop <minusf () obiit ! org>
Date:       2009-03-21 0:12:50

hmm, on Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:44:30AM +0100, Matthieu Herrb said that
> The first display is done by libpciaccess which uses same table for
> mapping pci ids to names as the kernel. Then it is the xf86-video-nv
> driver itself that identifies the chip.

hm, it seems like

product NVIDIA GEFORCE_9600_GT	0x0622	GeForce 9600 GT

is in pcidevs 1.1463 but 9600M GT is not.
could you add it please while we are here? :]

+product NVIDIA GEFORCE_9600M_GT	0x0649	GeForce 9600M GT

> Check the misc@ archives from approximatly one year ago. The recent
> laptop nvidia chips are really badly supported by the "open" source
> xorg-video-nv driver, and this is not going to be fixed by the
> maintainer of the driver (who works for nvidia and needs to protect its
> company secrets).

yes, i am aware of the nvidia relations.  sigh.

> You'll get better performance by using the vesa driver.

probably, but the performance is abismal at the moment
as there are some ~45000 interrupts per second on this
box.  but it's very fresh, needs more testing.

-f
--
sharp wits, like sharp knives, often cut their owner.