List:       openbsd-tech
Subject:    Re: RAIDFrame advice?
From:       Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galbavy () knowledge ! com>
Date:       1999-11-30 9:27:25

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 10:26:51AM -0500, P T Withington wrote:
> I'm still confused about the use of raidctl -i.  On previous advice, I upgraded to \
> 2.6 (October snapshot).  The man page for raidctl says that raidctl -i must be used \
> when initializing an array _and_ after an unclean shutdown, before fsck.
> This would seem to imply to me that there should be something in /etc/rc that does \
> so for each raid?.conf if /fastboot does not exist.

I do not use raidctl -i after an unclean reboot, and have not yet seen
any problems. I was reading the code before going on holiday to see
what rebuild parity does - but while I may know a bit about the layout
and operation of RAIDframe, I am still a touch hazy about RAID
algorithms in general. More reading required.

One thing that I haven't been able to check one way or the other is if
/etc/rc.shutdown gets run before or *after* partitions are unmounted.
If after, then we could run 'raidctl -u /etc/raid...' before shutdown.
If /sbin/raidctl is still available that is.

> Or does raidctl -c deal with this?  Does raidctl -c return an error status if it \
> determines the raid was not cleanly shut down?

Yes, some kernel messages come up saying that the component was not
clean.

> [I'm starting to look at the source, but if someone else already knows the answers, \
> I'd be happy to hear about it.]

Running around like a headless chicken here, so if you get anywhere,
please share...

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy