List:       openbsd-tech
Subject:    Re: 2 versions of as
From:       "Steve Murphree" <smurph () airnet ! net>
Date:       1999-11-29 17:06:19

-----Original Message-----
From: Corey Brenner <coreybrenner@hotmail.com>
To: tech@openbsd.org <tech@openbsd.org>
Date: Sunday, November 28, 1999 13:02
Subject: 2 versions of as

>Hi all,
>
>I remember a short discussion a few weeks ago when someone asked why
>OpenBSD requires two different versions of the GNU assembler.  Is
>there an archive of this list that I can look to to find out why this
>was, or would someone be kind enough to email me with a more detailed
>description of the problem?
>
>A little project I'm working on could potentially eliminate the need
>for this, I think.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Corey

I hope this project includes bfd support for a.out objects with 12 byte
relocation records.  This is why the mvme88k port uses the old gas and ld.
I can't speak for the other archs.  I have a binutils gas working but it
does not use bfd.  The big problem in my case is binutils ld, which uses
bfd.  I hope this project of yours solves this for me :-)