List:       openbsd-tech
Subject:    2.5 Boot Floppy for AlphaStation-200 Hangs
From:       Chris Jepeway <jepeway () cs ! utk ! edu>
Date:       1999-05-30 2:30:08

I've got an AlphaStation 200 that I can't get to boot
the OpenBSD-2.5 install floppy.  At the SRM console
prompt, a "boot dva0" gets as far as the "jumping to
bootstrap code" message, then hangs.  FWIW, I see similar
problems with a NetBSD-1.4 boot floppy.  Here's what
I've done to try to address this problem:

    o  I've installed the latest version of the
       the SRM console from DEC's website.  A
       "show version" gives "V7.0-9 Mar 18 1999 13:41:11".
       Since I was able to update the from the
       ARC console to the SRM console, I believe the
       floppy drive is functional.

    o  I've unplugged the mouse and keyboard and am using
       the serial port console.

    o  I've used different floppies, and I've created
       them on different Windoze systems.

    o  I've removed all "expansion" cards, that is,
       I took out the ZLXp-E2 and the PCI/PCMCIA
       bridge-thingummy.

Others have seen this problem on differently flavored
Alphas, and they've fixed it by updating the SRM console.
Since floppy-booting is sensitive to the f/w version,
I'm suspecting my SRM firmware is *too* recent.  I've
tried downgrading it to 6.9, but, again, the f/w update
floppy I build hangs after the "jumping" message.

Any suggestions?

Chris <jepeway@cs.utk.edu>.