List:       openbsd-tech
Subject:    Re: [Bulk] Re: [DIFF] /etc/rc: gracefully shut down base daemons too
From:       Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2015-02-20 3:11:24

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 11:19:08 +0000
Stuart Henderson wrote:

> init shuts them down gracefully anyway where possible. When you have
> a misbehaving system, the fewer unnecessary processes to get in the
> way of a reboot, the better.

I've certainly had Linux hang on shutting down services more than once
and never on OpenBSD. I guess less is more, proves itself again.

Systemd may have improved the Linux shutdown with cgroups though I'm
not convinced?? (by doing even more) and it's brought all sorts of
other reliability problems to the table.