List:       openbsd-tech
Subject:    Re: X11 Apps Blocking KeyRelease Event
From:       Girish Venkatachalam <girishvenkatachalam () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-20 4:58:54

On 22:36:22 Mar 19, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Me and oga@ have been trying to fix a bug in cwm.
>
> After debugging the code, I *think* certain apps like gvim and xpdf
> appear to be blocking the KeyRelease event, therefore causing the
> alt-tab menu to remain ontop of the window.
>
> It's most annoying.
>
> I have been researching this on google, but it is difficult to know what
> search terms should be used. It doesnt help that I know little about X11
> instrinsics.
>
> Does anyone have any clues/hints/resources as to how we can fix/research
> this bug?

I doubt if I can be of material assistance here.

I am dabbling with Javascript and browser events. Perhaps the most
comprehensive UI event management system.

There are plenty of keyboard events viz, keyup, keypress, keydown,
keyrelease and several more with mice as well.

This page will give you some ideas.

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_events.asp

As to X11 perhaps xbindkeys in ports will help.

This is just a clue stick. Perhaps you can pick up some cues?

-Girish

--
"unix soi qui mal y pense"

UNIX to him who evil thinks

| GnuPG key  : 0xC7BBF207  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net            |
| Fingerprint: 2AFF C264 20CE C80C DDFF  CC15 AD3E F190 C7BB F207  |