List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Re: Install probs obsd 2.9 on sparc 5 without video card and keyboard
From:       James White <intmicro () deltanet ! com>
Date:       2001-08-24 0:36:22

      Actually I can verify the repeating "1sher1sher" problem on multiple
Sparc 5s I have here.  A headless install of 2.9 displays the exact symptom
described by the originator of this thread.  My solution was to perform the
installation with a monitor and keyboard attached.  After installation, I
removed the keyboard and monitor and the box runs fine.  I tried the
following to no avail...

-Tried multiple 2.9 boot floppies (all of which worked just fine on an LX BTW)
-Tried multiple 2.8 boot floppies and had the exact same problem
-Tried to net boot from the above mentioned LX and ran into the exact same
problem
-Tried all of the above with and without a frame buffer

      Like I said, the Sparc 5 is happy being headless -after-
installation.  My only concern is future OpenBSD upgrades may require me to
reattach the keyboard and monitor.