List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Cron foo (was Re: Sparc 20 (50Mhz) - < 24hrs for full build!)
From:       Eric Hall <openbsd+sparc () ghosthound ! net>
Date:       2001-02-21 18:43:29

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:20:48PM +0100, Artur Grabowski wrote:
> naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) writes:
>
> > Eric Hall <openbsd+sparc@ghosthound.net> wrote:
> >
> > > 	Just an interesting (well, I think it is) note:
> > > A full build of 2.8 on a sparc 20 w/ 50Mhz CPU, 64M RAM
> >                                        ^^^^^^^^^
> > Presumably that means an SM51.

Yeah:
	cpu0 at mainbus0: TMS390Z50 v0 or TMS390Z55 @ 50 MHz, on-chip FPU

> mount mfs on /tmp and you will get below 18 hours.
> There are some other tricks to get below 12 (a kernel with only sun4m helps
> a lot, libc, gcc, sh and make built with special flags helps more).
>
> //art

	Sooo, mounting /tmp on mfs, or mount an mfs on /tmp?  I tried
mounting /tmp on an mfs by adding to /etc/fstab:

swap /tmp mfs rw 0 0

	and an interesting thing happened - cron disappeared.  Boot-time
messages said it started, and everything else appears to have been
running.  /tmp is mounted:

mfs:10049        7919        3     7521     0%    /tmp

	and seems to work fine (not any real testing, but nothing else
seems to break).  Very odd.  I can't find a core dump for cron,
nothing in the cron log (not even startup/can't start messages,
hmmmmm).  After the system has booted, starting cron via '/usr/sbin/cron'
appears to work fine.

	Is there a better way to put /tmp on mfs (vs. an entry in
/etc/fstab, or is my entry bogus)?  If somebody wants more info
on cron I can do a little more digging later in the week.
dmesg, etc., etc. as well.

		Thanks much,

			-eric