List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Re: Net only OBSD install?
From:       naddy () mips ! inka ! de (Christian Weisgerber)
Date:       2000-12-06 16:12:29

Gary <gary@spiritwars.com> wrote:

> Have I been misreading the install docs for the past year or two or is
> there really no way to do a net boot install without having NFS mountable
> filesystems?

For install purposes you need to export only a single file by NFS.
If you look through diskless(8), what you need are phases 1 and 2.

Last weekend I installed my SS20 over the net.  (No floppy or cdrom
drive, virgin disk.)  Follow diskless(8) up to step 5.  You only
need to specify an NFS root, no swap.  Put bsd.rd (installation
kernel with ramdisk file system) into that root directory and NFS
export it (step 8).  Use "boot net bsd.rd" or the equivalent for
your firmware revision to boot.  Voila, this will drop you into
the same install script as floppy28.fs does.

The whole procedure is much easier than the install docs make it
out to be.