List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    OS Project
Date:       2008-08-16 3:10:52

HI All,

I have been doing research on OS Development and GUI Toolkits and have
taken a variety of course work on these topics. I am currently porting
TCL/TK to Cocoa (OS X).

I have a strong interest in writing a session manager (I started
writing on in Qt (Trolltech) a few years ago). I wrote a small GUI
Toolkit a few years ago. I really like the BumpTop prototype that I
saw a few years ago.

I am wondering what the best advice is. I have time and money to live
on, so I can afford to do it. Really shouldn't a session manager be OS
independent? Gnome and KDE are good examples. Parts of each have
merit, parts dont. XFCE seems ok too. Aqua is obviously very platform
dependent.

I am interested in how one might tie into a kernel if the OS is
different, etc.

I would like advice, things to consider, must haves, etc.

-Jason