List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Re: updating hardware PROM through OpenBSD?
From:       "T. Ribbrock" <emgaron () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-09-27 7:17:13

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:38:50PM -0700, James Hartley wrote:
> According to information at SunSolve, the hardware PROM doesn't have
> to updated through Solaris;  they claim this process is not
> OS-dependent:

> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/advsearch.do?collection=PATCH&type=collections&queryKey5=106121&toDocument=yes

AFAIK, the "non-OS dependent" Sun is talking about refers to the fact
hat the patch as such is not for a specific OS but for the OBP. At least
that's how I understand it.

> I'm about to upgrade U10;  has anyone had problems updating the PROM
> through OpenBSD?

I've never tried to do so. You will need to "boot" the flash utility. On
a Solaris box, you can do so by placing it in /, then boot like this
from OBP:

ok boot disk /flash-update-Ultra510-latest

I've never tried whether OBP is able to read from an OpenBSD / as well,
but I doubt it.

However, you *can* netboot the flash utility, which is what I usually
do. A very brief summary of what I've done:

- You need a machine on your network where you can place the utility. I
  usually used one of my Linux workstations, but anything else than can
  provide the necessary services will work as well (my description might
  be a bit Linux-centric, though). I'll call this machine "host" below.
- enable rarpd on host
- add MAC of target to /etc/ethers, with name or IP
- enable tftpd on host
- copy flash-update-Ultra510-latest to /tftpboot and link IP address
  of the machine that is to be updated in hex to it
  Example (assuming the Sun has 192.168.1.5):
  ln -s flash-update-Ultra510-latest C0A80105
- Power-up the Sun, drop to OBP and do a netboot (Note: You will need to
  have the jumpers set properly, as described in Sun's patch
  description), aka "boot net"

The Sun should now boot the flash utility which you can then use as
described by Sun.

HTH,

Thomas
--