List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Solved: Offtopic: Serial Console on Ultra Enterprise Server 450
From:       "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia () l00-bugdead-prods ! de>
Date:       2007-09-23 19:29:54

Hi all,

thank you all for your very helpful hints, finally I got a console and
OpenBSD installed.

For everybody interested, here the story in short:

I soldered a cable like that, retried and I got a console working. Well, I
 saw it trying to start a Sun OS 5.9, and then crashing. Unfortunately it
 did not accept the Break key on the console to drop me into the PROM.
 However then I removed the harddisk and saw the machine trying to boot via
 rarp and tftp. I tried setting up an rarpd on my openbsd notebook, but for
 some reason the rarpd saw the packets, but did not answered them. An rarpd
 on my linux desktop with same setup was working well. I sent the bsd.rd
 file to the sparc. The box refused to boot that file and dropped into the
PROM.
There it was only a "boot cdrom" and OpenBSD was finally installed.

again, thanks a lot.

Sebastian