List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Re: disklabel somehow strange
From:       Michael-John Turner <mj () turner ! org ! za>
Date:       2006-03-31 21:23:24

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:15:53AM +0000, jjhartley@att.net wrote:
> Yes, newer Promise IDE cards can be used in the
> system, but they aren't OpenFirmware aware so we can't boot from them.

According to http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/faq.html#pci-cards it
appears that add-on IDE controllers don't need to be OpenFirmware aware to
be bootable. Haven't tried it myself, but the emails referenced in the
above FAQ entry suggest that the PROM can be made to boot at least some
Promise IDE cards.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/