List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Having problems with interfaces on a U2
From:       "Jay Hart" <jhart () nacs ! net>
Date:       2005-12-08 17:39:18

I'm having problems with a Ultra 2.  Recently I had a Ultra 1 running 3.7, updated it
to include the patches, and all went well with applying the patches, and building the
kernel. However, I think I had a disk going bad during this time, and had to replace
this box with the Ultra 2 during this process. I was getting "Fast data Access MMU Miss"
errors, and couldn't boot the box at all. This was having changing drives, and installing
a fresh copy of 3.7 on the two disks. Troubleshooting seemed to indicate it was controller
related. (I swapped dirve locations, and the problem stayed with the drive slot (bottom
slot on the U 170Es).

So gave up and pulled out the U2.

I got 3.7 loaded no problems, and have the network configured. hme0 is my external
interface, and hme1 is he internal interface, and I am NATing.

The problem seems to be that I can't get both interface working at the same time,
with a network cable plugged in. If I have only one cable plugged in either one, with
a reboot that interface works. Switching the cables to the other interface and rebooting
will allow the other interface to work. I also have a static IP address. I believe both
cables work.

I am using dhcp on the ext_if and have 192.168.1.1 set for the int_if. My ISP says I do
not need to tell them the new MAC address. If I set the ext_if to be my static ip address
then I can't connect to them, or ping anything like their DNS server. If I set the ext_if
to use dhcp and reboot, then the interface comes and connects with a IP address that is
not mine, but is on the right subnet.

My question is what could be causing the interfaces to interfere with each other, and
only allow one to work at a time?  Also, these interfaces were not used in the Ultra 1,
so they could have a problem.

Any help appreciated,

Jay Hart

--