List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    3.1 snapshot on Ultra10 doesn't finish boot
From:       "Jack J. Woehr" <jax () purematrix ! com>
Date:       2002-04-23 17:17:03

Just installed 3.1 on my Ultra10 on the second IDE disk, label 'a'.

The disk was labelled by Solaris.

Installation went okay except that when I asked for a list of ftp sites
it gave a filename in /tmp and said that the list was empty. Sorry, didn't
do install via serial console so can't screen scrape you the actual message.

Boot starts okay, OpenBSD starts up and does the device checks. Then it
prompt me manually to enter a root device. I enter 'wd1a' (which is where
it has just booted from) and then I get line about device=xxxxx rdevice=xxxxxx rawdisk=xxxxx
or whatever and then ... nothing. Just hangs.

Any tips? If I must I'll hook up a null modem cable to another machine and catch the
boot scrolling for ya's, but this is the same Ultra10 I installed 3.0 snapshots on
okay. 3.0 also forced me to manually enter a root device, but then it would boot.

--
Jack J. Woehr      # Power always thinks it has a great soul
Senior Consultant  # and ... that it is doing God's service