List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Re: OpenBSD on Sun Javastation
From:       Jameel Akari <jakari () bithose ! com>
Date:       2001-12-08 23:58:15

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Dirk Beckmann wrote:

> Furthermore problems with the Javastation remotebooting BSD.

	Funny, I was about to try this on my Mr. Coffee...

> is very good. Everything seems to work well - even remote swap via nfs works

	I must say OpenBSD nfs support is pretty solid, as horrifying a
concept as NFS swap is.

> well. But the main problem is the console/keyboard. The Javastation uses a
> "normal" PS2 keyboard and not the sun type 4/5 as the kernel expects. So my

	Aww, man.  I think we need wscon-like capability, or you're stuck
with a serial console.

> 1. Create a sun-keyboard emulator that hooks up to the ps/2 keyboard.

	These exist, but they are rather expensive... and since the actual
interface controller is not a Sun KB/mouse controller (whose name escapes
me), it will still look like a PS/2 KB to the system.  That is, the
adaptor maps the Sun KB signals to PS/2 signals, and you're back where you
started.

	Not to confuse the issue, but how are USB kb&mouse handled for
newer Sun machines (Blade 100 et. al.)?

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f "$zig"; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1