List:       openbsd-ppc
Subject:    booting macppc on iMac G5
From:       Olivier Cherrier <oc () symacx ! com>
Date:       2012-04-18 6:28:29

Hi,

I have some difficulties to boot the latest snapshot on my iMac G5.

I started to install 4.9 through the official CD release.
Then, I upgraded to the latest snapshot.  At that point, it failed
to boot and I got :
	http://www.symacx.com/~oc/tmp/current.png
I disabled onyx(4) and I got:
	http://www.symacx.com/~oc/tmp/current-without-onyx.png

Diabling onyx(4) and smu(4) makes it boot.

I also tried with the 5.0 release and it crashed on onyx(4) but not on
smu(4). So with 5.0, disabling 'onyx' is anough to make it boot.

To summarry:
4.9	: works
5.0	: onyx(4) should be disabled
current	: onyx(4) plus smu(4) should be disabled

Enabling the Openfirmware's telnet package works fine but it stops
working after displaying :

*** BEGIN ***
22:33:16 oc@sandy $ telnet napoleon
Trying 192.168.1.14...
Connected to napoleon.
Escape character is '^]'.
 ok
 0 > boot bsd.current load-size=f7e4 adler32=9787458f

 >> OpenBSD/macppc BOOT 1.2
 boot>
 booting /ht/pci@3/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@0/disk@0:bsd.current: 5993484/
                                                                      ^

                                                    it hangs here ----+

So, I could not get proper DDB log messages.
Moreover, the keyboard is not answering after a kernel crash. That's why
I took the pictures.

Thanks,
Cheers.

--