List:       openbsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: Boot from CD, root on HD?
From:       Dale Rahn <drahn () dalerahn ! com>
Date:       2004-02-23 18:57:09

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 01:35:17PM -0500, Donald Wilson wrote:
> Ok, so this is the second time I've posted w/ this idea, but after
> installing OpenBSD and being able to do a few things, I have to post
> again.
>
> I have a PCI Graphics G4, but it's onboard IDE controllers are flakey when
> writing to a disk, so I have a Rocket133 card in there, running the drive
> I've put OpenBSD on.
>
> But, there are no Mac drivers for this card, and I can't point
> OpenFirmware to a drive on it's busses. So, I need some option for a CD,
> w/ an ofwboot file and a partial system as a bootstrab device.
>
> Any ideas? Can I just use the boot.fs file on a cd?

If openfirmware does not support the device, options are very limited.

The best and most flexible approach would find an openfirmware bootable
controller.

ofwboot cannot load a kernel from a device not supported by openfirmware,
since ofwboot uses OF calls to do that.

It migh be possible to kludge around by booting the standard
kernel from cd and then specifying the kernel supported disk as root.

eg' boot cd:,ofwboot -a
[bootloader output]
>boot -a /3.4/macppc/bsd
[Kernel output]
Root device: <wd0>
Swap device: <[return]>

Not a clean solution, but without openfirmware supported hardware...

Why are the onboard IDE controllers 'flakey'?

Dale Rahn				drahn@dalerahn.com