List:       openbsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: bootproblem
From:       Waldemar Brodkorb <wbx () luusa ! org>
Date:       2002-08-13 21:20:21

Hi,
Dale Rahn wrote,

> The normal way to boot OpenBSD is 'boot hd:,ofwboot' or
> 'boot hd:,ofwboot /bsd', Openfirmware will translate these aliases
> into the full device path when the bootloader is called, when it recieves
> these full boot paths, the kernel will recognize the boot device.
>
> If it is possible to specify the full openfirmware path to yaboot
> (eg '/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0/bsd') it might work
> that way, or (I am hesitant to do this) add code to attempt to translate
> the 'hd' alias into the full device path in the kernel.

Tried:
bsd=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0/bsd
bsd=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:13/bsd
bsd=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:13

OpenBSD don't boot.

> One question, is yaboot attempting to load ofwboot or /bsd (the kernel)?

/bsd. No ofwboot on my openbsd partition.

> It is possible that the 'fixed wd0 or wd1' root doesn't work, and that
> would be a bug.

hmm, o.k.
Bugreporting is disabled by now.

best regards
  Waldemar

--
8485 D0CE 2743 656E 867C  5C93 0317 AFD8 BE21 BD90