List:       openbsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: XCOFF bootloader
From:       Dale Rahn <dalerahn () comcast ! net>
Date:       2002-08-05 17:16:37

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:54:40AM -0700, Tony Faoro wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I have yet to test this with the standard ofwboot, but it looks as though
> OpenFirmware 1.0.5, 1.1.22, 2.0.x, and 2.4 machines could be added to the
> compatibility list if we were to create an XCOFF bootloader that could be
> written to floppy or netbooted. NetBSD has done this and they seem to
> support my machine (wallstreet II powerbook). Im not sure what all it
> would take to bring ofwboot to ofwboot.xcf, or if it may work as is (ill
> be testing that when i get home tonight)
>
> AFAIK, these are the last PCI macs that arent working in OpenBSD, and itd
> be nice if its just an easy hack to get them up and running.

This is still the case...

There has been code around for a long time, but it has not been
tested since the mac port actually was started. The code lives in
src/sys/arch/macppc/stand/boot.mac, in theory this code could build
an Xcoff program which the old firmware could use. I was going to
test this a couple of weeks ago, but found that the battery on my
StarMAX machine was dead. When I get a replacement battery, I will
give this another try.

Dale Rahn				dalerahn@comcast.net