List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: help creating port
From:       naddy () mips ! inka ! de (Christian Weisgerber)
Date:       2001-02-28 23:11:35

Maurice Nonnekes <maurice@maurice.wan.nl> wrote:

> 1. First build the main program like a normal package would, then build
> the plugin by using post-build (very ugly).

This is the approach taken by the FreeBSD port.
I don't like this at all.  I don't want to see fragments of
bsd.port.mk repeated in the main port Makefile.  It's inelegant
and doesn't age well.

> 2. Patch the stuff up (probably Makefiles) in such a way, that after the
> build of the main program, it automaticly continues building the plugin.

That's a possibility.

However, the build and install steps can be handled rather gracefully
if you simply introduce an intermediate Makefile, e.g:

    all install:
            @${MAKE} $@
            @cd plugin && ${MAKE} $@

You could ship this as files/Makefile.OpenBSD and integrate it into the
port Makefile like this:

    MAKE_FILE=      Makefile.OpenBSD

    post-extract:
            @cp ${FILESDIR}/${MAKE_FILE} ${WRKSRC}

Which is in fact the approach taken by the forthcoming xmame port.
Along the same lines you could create a wrapper script for configure.

> Any thoughts on this would be welcome :-)

Well, I tried to discuss the same problem not all that long ago:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-ports&m=98177246424445