List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: postgres changes suggestion
From:       Marc Espie <Marc.Espie () liafa ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2000-10-25 21:33:43

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 10:23:26AM -0700, A farmer using BSD, eh! wrote:
> I think many people learn a lot from ports and explore with surprising
> joy in ports. It is surprising to see the association the easiness of
> enabling ports flavors with non-professional lamers.  I always think
> ports exist to facilitate the system in operation.  It is even more
> interesting to see arguments based on holding ports flavors enabling
> from being made easier to differentiate between a meat-eating admin and
> a lamer.  An example related to postgres is, like I said, pgaccess. When
> I first tried to find out how to install pgaccess, I did not
> realize/read about flavor=tcl was the way to go until Brad helped me
> out.

Finding nice flavor names, and documenting flavor uses correctly is the job
of the porter.

Look at the way bsd.port.mk works, you can have COMMENT that depend on flavor,
so that the right comment is selected depending on the flavor.

On the other hand, DESCR is not flavor-dependent.

THIS IS INTENTIONAL.

DESCR should be a port documentation. If flavors exist, AND are non-obvious,
this is the place where the various flavors description must be put.

We've mostly had pretty obvious cases of flavor names until
now (like, no_x11, or gtk, or threads)

Flavors with non-obvious consequences (such as tcl is needed for pgaccess
and such) should be documented in DESCR by the porter.
--
	Marc Espie