List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: Bug in nvi
From:       Walter Alejandro Iglesias <wai () roquesor ! com>
Date:       2023-08-30 11:51:16

Hi Anthony,

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 01:15:15AM -0600, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> Walter Alejandro Iglesias writes:
> > I'm addressing you because, besides that none answered (summertime?
> > :-),) I applied my patch to nvi in ports also.  I been using both vi and
> > nvi for a while and, as far as I can tell, with my patch nvi does
> > exactly what's expected, and I haven't notice any regressions.
>
> The behavior seems like an improvement to me, but I'm not likely to keep
> a local patch in the ports tree for something like this unless it's
> been committed upstream. My recommendation would be to submit it to
> Zhihao Yuan's upstream GitHub repo. Once it's been committed there,
> let me know and I'll either commit the patch to ports or update to a
> newer source code snapshot.

Last week I contacted Zhihao, he understood the problem and responded me
with a more consistent patch:

  https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=169277277928008&w=2

After being reviewed by a second developer in his github account,
yesterday he finally committed the change:

  https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/commit/517d821de7939f74a74bb6a553df0fff425fdead

> As for the original patch from your bugs@ thread, it's only been three
> days, and sometimes it takes some time, or (unfortunately) a reminder or
> two, for a developer to review it. I encourage you to send the patch to
> tech@, where it's likely to draw more attention, and send a followup
> reminder if it hasn't received comments in over a week.

Zhihao's patch also works in base vi(1).  If you update nvi in ports,
I'll wait it to be tested here and, at some point, I'll post a reminder
to tech@ with a cvs version of Zhihao's patch.

--
Walter