List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: ports: pkg/SCREENSHOTS proposal
From:       Marc Espie <espie () nerim ! net>
Date:       2022-06-21 16:17:05

Some fairly stupid issues with this:
- Size. I assume screenshots are going to be under pkg/
this will make the ports tree several times larger.
- Otherwise, where do we host them ? and that makes fetching more annoying.
- *if* we put the screenshots under CVS control, that means having to fiddle
with RCS proper, because it *will* mangle binary files unless you do
things correctly.

I believe that, if you want to supplement ports-readmes-dancer (for instance)
we could have a "throw-away" variable with screenshot links that could quite
possibly end up in sqlports.

That's most probably the least error-prone way to do things.

(since ports-readmes-dancer is not static, it's not even an OpenBSD
"official" website, so adding more info on the side could be doable)

But it still means someone would have to find a way to curate various
screenshots whenever they make sense.

The thing you could possibly do is start creating a simple table
fullpkgpath - screenshot url(s)

and then see how it fares from there.