List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    re missing icons in gnumeric taskbars
From:       Dave Feustel <dfeustel () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2006-01-29 21:45:50

I found the problem after exiting kde as I was reviewing the kde error log.
the gnumeric directories were created with root umask permissions (700).
This made that directory and all subdirectories inaccessible to world,
so the menu-building routines invoked at gnumeric startup all failed.
I chmodded that directory recursively to 755 and now gnumeric comes
up with a full set of icons in the task bars :-).

This problem spotlights a problem I have seen before, namely that pkg_add (and various
kde programs) do not always explicitly set appropriate permissions of files being installed.
In my case, I have root permissions set to protect root files against access by non-root accounts.
This problem could be solved by creating a pkg_install account with a umask of
022 which is more likely to be what is required for installing packages.
Or the pkg_add program could explicitly set permissions of installed files to 755 so the umask
setting of the installing user becomes moot.

Dave Feustel
--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"