List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: UnOfficial OpenBSD Projects in Work
From:       Liam <allenwc () infomatrix ! ca>
Date:       2002-03-02 18:16:11

on 02/3/02, at the evil hour of 9:37 AM -0700, J. Scott Edwards wrote:
>Liam wrote:
>

>>Well, Official ports tracking, or Official projects would be
>>implying that there is some sanction or support or recognition, or
>>even interest by those who administer openBSD. Or that in some way,
>>this project had some sort of connection to the openBSD project
>>itself.
>>
>>Unofficial, on the other hand, means that there is no implied,
>>official, legal, legitimate, or otherwise, recognition or
>>connection between my projects and port tracking and the openBSD
>>project itself, other than the undeniable fact that what I'm
>>tracking certainly contributes to the openBSD effort as whole.
>>

>I'm still a bit confused. So do unofficial ports eventually go into
>the cvs ports tree?

Yes, IF the ports@ crew like what they see. Odds are that they will
ask you to make specific corrections.

>   Is the whole ports tree unoffical in the sense that you stated
>above?  Or are there separate unoffical ports?

There are unofficial ports, that is ports that are made to work with
openBSD but are not part of the openBSD official ports distribution.
/usr/ports/... if you see what I mean.

My lists merely track those ports that are made for openBSD and that
have been submitted to the openBSD ports mailing list for
consideration by the official team. These ports, the ones on my list,
are ports, they probably work for the most part, but they have not
been vetted by anyone.

So, if you want to use the unofficial ports from my list, please do!
We want you to try them, to look at them and to report problems to
ports@openbsd.org so that the port can be cleaned up and made perfect
and ultimately, included in the official distribution.

If you want to submit a port, you do so by sending it to
ports@openbsd.org. I will add your port to my list until it gets
accepted by the official group. When it will disappear from my list
and appear on the official distribution.

Have a quick look at:

http://infomatrix.ca/submit.php

when you are ready to send your port in.

The difference between a port and a project is that a project is a
work in progress. It is something that you are working on but have
not yet gotten to the point of submitting it for consideration. The
projects includes more than just ports.

>I have been planning on making a port of a couple of my small
>projects on Sourceforge just to get a feel for the whole ports
>process and how they work.

Do have a look at:

http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html

it will guide you very well.