List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: using NEW PORT without using new version
From:       Marc Espie <espie () schutzenberger ! liafa ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2002-01-03 22:49:07

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:37:21PM -0800, OpenBSD baby wrote:
> If I have an OpenBSD 2.9 box that's working fine,
> but I want to use the brand-newest PHP 4.11 installation,
> do I need to update the entire box to OpenBSD 3.0?
> or is there a way to just use the new port?

No supported way.

ports-current works with src-current. Anything else, you're on your own.
Even if it appears to work, it's not guaranteed you're going to fall into
problems elsewhere.

Simply put, the ports team does not have enough spare time to ensure every
version of OpenBSD works with the current ports tree, and I would even
prefer that no time be wasted doing it, when more useful matters still need
to be solved...