List:       openbsd-pf
Subject:    Re: ToS low delay & acks
From:       Michal Soltys <nozo () ziu ! info>
Date:       2007-01-29 22:08:41

Travis H. wrote:
> My scp and sftp clients (openssh) certainly don't set it.
> When I scp, it's ToS 0x8.  When I do interactive ssh, it's 0x10.

Hmmm, after rechecking I can't get 0x10 on bulk ssh transfers, but I could
swear I've seen one. Oh well.

> Other parties welcome to debate this.
>
> Ostensibly, one would want pf to be able to remark traffic as well;
> the general premise is that DSCP is network-specific, and that ISPs
> and whatnot would remark at the boundaries.  This seems like a
> natural fit for pf, once some syntax and mechanisms are added.

Some time ago I've been thinking about adding one more section to the
pf.conf, like state rules - small chains, that could be assigned to normal
filter rules. So when the state is created, you'd still have some control
over certain things (like queuing). I realise though, it would be hell of a
work, probably much more than it's worth it. Not mentioning potential
performance hit under more complicated configs.

I'm still curious, why pf_test6 function doesn't check for tcp acks, when
deciding on which queue to assign (unless I blatantly missed or don't
understand something).