List:       openbsd-pf
Subject:    Re: Again... transparent bridge + spamd
From:       Darrin Chandler <dwchandler () stilyagin ! com>
Date:       2007-01-15 22:28:14

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:53:03PM -0600, Neil Brockman wrote:
> You don't mention if the mail server is an OpenBSD machine.  Is it?  If
> so, then you don't really have to place spamd  on the bridge.  spamd
> places a minimal load on its host.

Alas, it's a Linux box and it's outdated. It's not normally within my
purvue. It's for a sister company (ISP) and the current admin was
hitting a wall trying to fight spam. Now, the company mail server that I
maintain is obsd w/ spamd, and it runs fine...

> If you are not running an OpenBSD mail server, you can redirect through
> an OpenBSD box so that the OpenBSD box acts as a firewall of sorts for
> the mail server.  Since bridges don't have IP addresses of their own you
> won't have much luck using spamd on a bridge.  This is because the
> bridge itself does not accept connections.

I did get the setup working on a bridge with an IP address on the
external interface, per the undeadly article. Slick as can be, since I
can leave the existing mail server in place with all it's intricate
config stuff. It's working great, and the stress on the mail server is
way down. Pure goodness.

The article I mention is at
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20061108134508

dwchandler@stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/