List:       openbsd-pf
Subject:    Re: Open BSD 3.9 unable to send email with attachment thru pf
From:       peter () bgnett ! no (Peter N !  M !  Hansteen)
Date:       2006-06-27 8:15:03

"Ajith Kumar" <ajithu@sasken.com> writes:

> If I disable pf I am able to send mails with attachments.It looks like
> problem with firewall itself.

The problem here is that you keep repeating a very vague description
of symptoms without giving us any information which could point us in
the right direction.

Basically, to PF, the difference between a text only mail message and
one with an attachment lies only in the amount of data which is
transferred, if that.

I reiterate that the more likely culprit is some sort of content
filtering you are either not aware of or not telling us about.  In
some truly resource starved configurations, such as a system extremely
low on memory, loading PF could be what makes the system start
swapping, if the connection between your gateway and the mail server
is already rather saturated a largish mail message would have trouble
making it without timing out, and so on.

There are several more ways to misconfigure a machine so it will
produce the rather bizarre symptoms you are describing, but from the
information you are volunteering it's pretty much impossible to tell
what is causing the situation.

20:11:56 delilah spamd[26905]: 146.151.48.74: disconnected after 36099 seconds