List:       openbsd-pf
Subject:    HFSC?
From:       DMFH <dmfh () n0spam ! dmfh ! cx ! spamn0t>
Date:       2005-12-18 5:28:45

Is anyone out there successfully using HFSC in a "production environment" or
other that could share their experiences, whatever they might be? I've had
good success on an ADSL connection queueing outband traffic to a VoIP provider
and "splitting" off local Ethernet bandwidth to local machines on the
"outside" of the firewall. I'm using a two-level queuing hierarchy that splits
the outbound Ethernet bandwidth ( I estimated 6Mbps for a 10Mbps interface)
into approximately 1Mbps up to my ISP and the rest for local bandwidth to
machines just "outside" of the firewall on a hub using OpenVPN-wrapped tunnel
links. The local bandwidth is the lowest priority.

One interesting thing I notice (this is OpenBSDV3.7/i386) with queueing, I
don't think this is HFSC specific, that some of my outband pass rules with a
queueing statement for ( queue_a, queue_b ) actually place all the traffic in
the queue_b TCP ACK queue instead of queue_a - is there a common mistake I've
overlooking in my ruleset? I figured I'd ask this generically before I post my
long & obviously unoptmized ruleset. ;)

Thanks in advance for any/all responses. :) Happy Holidays to all celebrating
in the winter season!

----