List:       openbsd-pf
Subject:    Re: carp
From:       Jon Hart <jhart () spoofed ! org>
Date:       2005-12-09 0:48:40

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:32:39PM +0000, ed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone written scripts to ensure that preempt fail over fails over
> all the carp interfaces to backup upon one becoming backup, I have found
> often that a single interface will become backup leaving the remaining
> interfaces as master, which obviously messes things up.

ifstated would probably work great for this -- check the states of all
your carp'd interfaces and if any one of them goes into a down state,
use the run option to put your other interfaces into a similar state.

I can't immediately think of a reason why doing this is bad, but this is
what the preempt (net.inet.carp.preempt) is for.

I have a pair of firewalls right now where the real master has all its
interfaces in the MASTER state, whereas the slave has 2 in BACKUP and
one in MASTER.  `ifconfig carp1 state backup` seems to put it into the
BACKUP state but it soon switches back to MASTER.  All this despite
preempt being set.

-jon