List:       openbsd-newbies
Subject:    Re: wireless bwi0
From:       Michael <bsd4me () cableone ! net>
Date:       2009-01-30 19:48:55

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 05:11:09PM +0100, soc@visca.com wrote:
> At 07:01 AM 1/30/2009 -0700, Michael wrote:
> > Hi all. I bought a router yesterday and I'm trying to get OpenBSD
> > working with it. It's a Broadcom airforce 802.11g and works with
> > Windows and linux. I downloaded the bwi driver for OpenBSD and
> > followed the man page for bwi.
> > I created /etc/hostname.bwi0 and tried each example shown in the man
> > page.
> > I started with dhcp NONE NONE NONE in my /etc/hostname.bwi0 and upon
> > booting, the wireless led lit up a few times, but the screen showed
> > "bwi0 .......no link".
> > I then tried "dhcp nwid mynetworkid", tried rebooting and got the same
> > response.
> > I then tried "dhcp nwid mynetworkid nwkey mynetworkkey" and then tried
> > "route flush" and "sh /etc/netstart bwi0". Same thing :(
> > This is my first try at wireless with OpenBSD, so what am I doing
> > wrong? Something simple, I'm sure, but I'm missing it whatever it is.
>
> It sounds like you're close; here's what works for me in
> /etc/hostname.ral0:
>
> dhcp NONE NONE NONE nwid mynetworkid nwkey 0xmynetworkkey
>
> Don't forget the '0x' preceding your networkkey.

Thanks. Tried that but that didn't work either. I also see that there is a small \
error in my first post: What I get on booting is: bwi0: no link .............sleeping

I just tried this in /etc/hostname.bwi0:
dhcp nwid mynwid wpa wpapsk $(wpa-ps mynwid mynwkey)

ifconfig -a shows:

bwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:16:ce:49:a8:e1
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1)
        status: no network
        ieee80211: nwid mynwid wpapsk 0xabunchofhexdecimal wpaprotos wpa1,wpa2 \
wpaakms psk,802.1x wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip  inet6 \
                fe80::216:ceff:fe49:a8e1%bwi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
enc0: flags=0<> mtu 1536

Still no network connection :(
Am I making this too hard?

Thanks.