List:       openbsd-newbies
Subject:    translation between "./configure --help" and obsd file locations
From:       Derek Shaw <derek () bisi ! ca>
Date:       2006-05-14 17:56:06

I am attempting to build BerkeleyDB from source (please don't direct me
to ports and/or packages.  They are not suitable).

I would like to make the install process mimic the "openBSD way" as much
as possible (since I have to install other software that depends on
BekeleyDB).  I have found the openbsd porting checklist, which says

> The OpenBSD file locations are:
>
>   user executables:			/usr/local/bin
>   system admin executables:		/usr/local/sbin
>   program executables:			/usr/local/libexec
>   libraries:				/usr/local/lib
>   architecture dependent data:		/usr/local/lib/<name>
>   installed include files:		/usr/local/include or
>					/usr/local/include/<name>
>   single-machine data:			/etc or /etc/<name>
>   local state:				/var/run
>   games score files:			/var/games
>   GNU info files:			/usr/local/info
>   man pages:				/usr/local/man/...
>   read-only architecture-independent:	/usr/local/share/<name>
>   misc documentation:			/usr/local/share/doc/<name>
>   examples files:			/usr/local/share/examples/<name>

This gets me (I think) *really* close.

But of course ./configure --help doesn't use the same terminology, so
there are a couple items I need to reconcile (or just be re-assured
about) before I can trust that things are as they should be.

The items from the configure script that I need help with are:
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
(where I will be setting PREFIX to /usr/local)

In the first case (sharedstatedir), there is no $PREFIX/com, so I doubt
that is correct, and no reference to it in the "file locations list", above.

In the second case (localstatedir) I'm guessing that should be pointed
at /var/run, but I have no cross-reference to confirm that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS -- the obsd file locations reference is found at:
http://www.openbsd.org/checklist.html

--
Derek Shaw
BIS Business Information Systems Inc.