List:       openbsd-newbies
Subject:    ancontrol settings to join WEP wireless network (Aironet 350)
From:       Thomas Carlyle <carlyle1789 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-12-20 16:19:18

Hi, stupid question:

I'm running OpenBSD 3.4 release (install from CD) on my laptop and have
a Cisco Aironet 350 wireless PCMCIA card plugged in.  My neighbor gave
me a password for his wireless network (40 bit WEP) but I'm having
trouble working out how to join.  If anyone could make suggestions or
point me to a web/man page with specific info, I'd appreciate it.
Relevant dmesg and command line output is included below.

I've read man ancontrol, man an, and man ifconfig numerous times and I
scanned the archives of misc, which contain numerous questions about
the Cisco 350, but none so basic (stupid) as mine.  I also tried to
replicate the steps in the FreeBSD manual
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-
wireless.html), but it didn't exactly apply.

This is what I'm trying:
sparrow# ancontrol an0 -a [network addr - 00:04:E2..etc.] -c 11 -k
0x[my pass]

Then I run
sparrow# ifconfig an0

to see the results:

an0: flags=8842<BROADCAST, RUNNING, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
		address: 00:0d:29:5a:64:f1
		media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS11)
		status: no network

Also tried:
sparrow# ancontrol an0 -W 1 -v 1 -a [addr] - c 11 -k [pass] with same
results.

Here is:
dmesg |grep an0

an0 at pcmcia1 function 0 "Cisco Systems, 350 Series Wireless LAN
Adapter": address 00:0d:29:3a:64:f1
an0 at pcmcia1 function 0 "Cisco Systems, 350 Series Wireless LAN
Adapter": address 00:0d:29:3a:64:f1

(Yes, appears twice.)

Priority is to simply get up and running, but I did have a few other
related questions:
a.  I'm wondering what are the minimum flags I have to set with
ancontrol to join the network as a client -- for example do I need to
worry about "-K" (set authorization type).
b.  What is the difference between "-e" (set transmit WEP key) and "-k"?
c.  Should I be using ifconfig instead of ancontrol to configure the
card?
d.  Should I be adding the command line stuff described above to
/etc/hostname.an0?

I appreciate any suggestions.  I'm sure I am missing something really
obvious.