List:       openbsd-mobile
Subject:    Re: OpenBSD-mobile: suspected winness of modem
From:       "M. Warner Losh" <imp () village ! org>
Date:       2002-03-07 5:54:44

In message: <m3d6yibnle.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
            prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
: I just got a ThinkPad.  Windows says the modem is a "Lucent Win
: Modem", and I gather that I can't use a winmodem with OBSD.  IBM tells
: me it's nevertheless not a winmodem; it's part of the Intel combo
: modem+ethernet thing.  I'd like to boot OBSD from a floppy/cd and try
: to use the modem before I install for real, lest I waste time
: installing on hardware that won't help me.  Anyone have a suitable
: image, or know how I can make one (given that I've never installed
: OBSD before and don't have access to any OBSD machines on which to
: make the image)?

It is what we call a WinModem.  It might not be a Win Modem [tm], but
it isn't a controller modem either.

Warner