List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Fate of old source trees when patching upgrade
From:       "James Moore" <jim.moore () firelinedsl ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 15:49:35

I've upgraded my system from 2.6 to 2.8 using the cd.

Now I'm ready to apply the patches, but unsure about how to deal with
the existing 2.6 source tree (/usr/src). I seem to recall the best
thing to do was to zap the existing source tree & start fresh; i.e.

rm -r /usr/src
cd /mnt; pax -rw CVS Makefile [a-z]* /usr/src
setenv CVS_RSH /usr/bin/ssh
setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.usa.openbsd.org:/cvs
cd /usr; cvs checkout -P -rOPENBSD_2_8 src

Any analysis or commentary; should the old source tree be deleted?

Thanks,
James Moore